Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tossing Cookies

Tossing Cookies......

  This is a very true story and not a cookie cutter one either. If you are a mother, you probably have given birth.

  Question: Have you ever wanted the last 30 seconds of your life back, had a mute button to push, or were just hard of hearing? I have.

   Let me set the scene for you.  It was October 4th, 2007, at 8:31am, when the doctor pulled out twin A and 8:32am, when the doctor pulled out twin B. As they whisked the babies off, there I was, cut in half; obviously I had a Cesarean Birth. I sat in recovery for an hour or more and wondering how my babies were; and what the hell just happened to me back there?

  They wheeled me up to the maternity section of the hospital and there everyone stood looking at the babies through the glass as the nurses were tending to them. They rolled me past, quickly I might add, to my room. There I lay, a sitting duck.  Finally my husband and nurse come in and let me know that twin A was doing great but twin B is not breathing correctly and sometimes not at all. The NIC unit is on its way to pick him up and take him to a larger hospital that has a specialized unit for infants. Okay, what can I say.........I just cried. So they bundled him up and the NIC nurses were nice enough to have swept him in and out of my room, it was nothing but a blur.

 About an hour later the nurse brought twin A to me, I had a baby to hold. Here he is, Mrs. Hunt, and she left. I looked at him and well, have you ever seen the movie "Curious Case of Benjamin Button", I thought to myself this is not my baby, oh my goodness..... those words can not come out of my mouth.... he looks like a 90 year-old man. I guess that is what happens when your head is stuck in a pelvis for nine months and your brother is taking up his fare share of the womb. Now, he is as cute as he can be and not to mention rotten.

  So after I had him in my arms and happy to meet him and so very blessed, I suddenly handed him to the closest person in the room and began tossing my cookies and this went on all day. I had lots of visitors come and go that day (always nice to have a crowd cheer you on as your throwing-up). Most of them wanted to go, I have no idea why?!?!

 So the next day, I was feeling much better and my husband kept me posted on twin B and that he was doing much better. I finally was able to eat a little without tossing my cookies and it was a nice sunny day. Then, a visitor arrived, I'll call her SIL (Are you good at reading between the lines?). She stood in my room and held twin A and I'd say about five, okay maybe six minutes into it, and she starts to chuckle......"Ha ha ha....my girls were just wondering why you still looked pregnant. Chuckle, chuckle." 

  Wow.......I thought to myself, did that just come from your mouth. I just sat there with complete loss of words. Could someone really say this to a person that just had twins and one twin that I have not even hardly seen, let alone touched. This coming from an RN, I just couldn't wrap my mind around it and still can't. I just smiled and took it, I wish I was bold enough to say to her, "My son wonders why you have two chins?"  Thank God I was highly drugged and could not get up. Boy, I so wish I had some COOKIES TO TOSS that day!!


  That was a truly EYE OPENING experience for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment