Thursday, May 10, 2012

Living with a chlid with ADHD


 Two and half years ago my son was diagnosed with ADHD. I am not one that always sides with using medication to fix a problem. But, my son had a very hard time staying on task at school, remembering simple directions, staying seated and interrupting the class during teachings. We decided to place him on medication and it took a few tries to find the right medication and the right dose. Hang-in there.

  Mornings are still very difficult and I still have to remind him several times to stay on task, and yes, it is frustrating but I always have to remind myself to be patient. I really notice a difference after he takes his medication, which is Concerta. I am so proud of him, he is such a good-hearted, intelligent and caring person. Note: These medications do not build up in the body like some other medications do.

  I'm writing this so others know that they are not alone and that Concerta, in my sons case, has helped tremendously! Every child is different and just pace yourself and your child in the process. My sons abilities at school have become so much better and he is at the top of his class with his academic skills.

  Also, as your child gets older the medication might need to  be adjusted or changed. Stay in close contact with your doctors, teachers and mentors in your child's life, they will be able to supply more information about your child's behavior. Sometimes others on the outside can see and notice more than just us as parents.

  We don't always want to come to truth that your child might need a little help. Never feel embarrassed that your child has ADHD and remember, your are not alone and neither is your child.


Dana Hunt- Me                

No comments:

Post a Comment