Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Liberty

This way written the day after 9/11, I was inspired by a picture of a news clip with the Statue of Liberty and The Twin Towers together prior to the falling of the towers.

To those who lost their lives on and above this nation: to those who risked their lives and lost; and to those who could only stand by and watch. This is to you America; may our nation stand strong.

                                                      Liberty

                     As she peered at the sky there were no mere words to reply.
She watched two shiny birds fly as though their wings had been tied.
There Liberty stood with stolen pride,
And now she wondered if she could confide.
On that pedestal so high in the sky stood nothing but a frown
Bigger than the heart of the town.
As she watched, two beautiful towers came tumbling down.
For the first time in her life she thought her heart had found the ground, But no,
It was only a tragic sound.
She lowered her head with much disgrace and for one moment in time
She felt this was not her place.
With her head hung low, one huge tear made a remarkable roll,
And this is how she regained control.
As she stood there clunching onto her glory
She finally spoke and told her story.
For this is my nation and I will raise my weary head from this sacred ground
And stand tall and step off this mound.
I lift my torch higher for all to see; don't you understand, we are free.
I will take God and my nation's hand
And we will recreate and mend this great land.


Written By: Dana Sienkiewicz (Hunt)
Charles Town, West Virginia

Dedicated to my loved ones who made it home safely: Myra L. Sienkiewicz,
United Airlines Flight Attendant; Michael P. Sienkiewicz, government employee, Washington, DC

Copyright 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment