Monday, September 10, 2012

Marched in Like A Lamb

 Marched in Like A Lamb and Out Like A Hero

 It was 2011, almost Autumn time and a beautiful day outside. I was in the kitchen, I'm sure doing my "Mrs. Betty Crocker" thing or playing the role of "Mr. Clean". Then,I heard my dog, Sammie, barking, barking and barking, she rarely does this unless someone is walking by or is in our yard. I looked out the window many times and could not see anything. So I decided to let her inside, about an hour had passed and I let her back out and once again she began to bark at the very same location.  This sparked my curiosity, so I walked down the deck stairs and there in a grassy bush, lay a very small and wounded lamb.

                                           

  First of all, I was in total surprise and shock, then, the wheels in my head started turning. What the heck am I going do with this lamb? A lamb of all things. I went to the front and scooped him up and placed him on our deck. He had no marking of any type, as most farmers will tag their livestock. He had several puncture wounds around his neck which looked not so good, probably from a large dog.

                                          

  So I got on the phone and called my dad for help (SOSand for advise. I ran down and put a large dog crate that we had together so I would have a place for him. I treated to wounds the best I could and my dad went to get hay, bottles, special ointment and powdered milk. We fed him and nurtured him the best we could.  We never had a lamb before; I suppose there is a first for everything.

                                          

  We decided to name him, Wesley, after a church. A few weeks had gone by and, Wesley was feeling better.  I shaved all of his wool off because it was so matted with many burrs and dried blood (a very tedious task). He was so beautiful after his shave and bath. Even more beautiful when he enjoyed eating my trees and shrubs.

                                                   

  Our dog, Sammie, also nurtured Wesley, and mothered him, hardly leaving his side. Now that Wesley was on the mend, we were in search of the owner or the best home for him. My husband had a friend who reached out to us about Wesley. Her son was in 4-H and helped children with 4-H and their projects. They owned a small farm and had many different animals and were interested in taking on Wesley as their own.

                                         

  I will have to say, I was so excited to hear about their intentions with him and for him. I was so scared he might end up on a dinner table! So we made arrangements to meet and they took Wesley with them.  It was very bittersweet for  me, but there was no way we could keep him.

                                            

  Wesley, who's name is Junior now, is a very happy and a "well rounded" (loves to eat) sheep. He even sleeps in their home sometimes and waits for his owner to arrive home everyday to greet him. Junior is truly loved and well cared for and I could have never dreamed for anything better from him.

                                              

  This lamb marched right into our hands when he was weak and needed strength.  Now, he is giving strength to others; he is "Paying it forward", a true hero.

                                             

 If you have children, please check out 4-H. There are so many different 4-H groups that cater to activities your children would be, or are interested in. www.4-H.org

 "The wolf will live with the lamb".  Isaiah 11:6

"Meaning of Lamb":
"1
a: a young sheep; especially: one that is less than one year old or without permanent teeth b: the young of various animals (as the smaller antelopes) other than sheep
2
a: a gentle or weak person b: dear, pet c: a person easily cheated or deceived especially in trading securities
3
a: the flesh of a lamb used as food b: lambskin "

Dana Hunt-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment