Thursday, October 4, 2012

I'll Take A Bottle of That!!

 
  My nine-year-old son gets so excited to go check the mail at the mailbox (I mean "Old School Mailbox"), to see if anything has arrived for him. He writes letters to his friends and family, and loves to drop his letters in the slot of the mailbox for the mailman to pick-up. It makes me so proud to see him do so. "Signed, Sealed (Stamped) and Delivered."

  He still believes in Santa Clause, The Tooth Fairy and The Easter Bunny, and I wish I could bottle his innocence up forever. I so hope it transfers that long to my other three sons (PLEASE!!!).


                     
            

  Where has all the innocence gone?

  He came home the other night with his homework (He's in the 3rd grade might I add) and one of the last questions he had to do was write a funny "E-MAIL" to a friend about the story he had read. I thought, WHAT IN THE WORLD, what has happened? Can't children just be children? Why is everything so fast and furious(why, Why and Why?)? I barely let him get on the computer for heaven sakes and I want to keep it that way as long as a can, but he knows how to use a computer better than I do (Huh!). I just learned how to download pictures from a camera to the computer (Which I'm sure some people probably wish I hadn't.......).

  Why do all these children have to have all these gadgets and gizmo's, isn't it only hurting them to some extent? I understand that this is the world it is becoming or already is, but still.....,is it going GREEN or something deeper than that? When you have children in texting competitions, isn't there something not quite right with that? Note: My spelling check is questioning the word TEXTING???

  My grandparents raised four girls, had their own animals that provided and fed them and they lived off their land, which was not big. Could you imagine giving a live chicken to an eighteen-year-old now, and saying, here you go make dinner or here's a cow milk it!! How fast time has changed. I suppose that is life now, but can't we slow down just a bit.

  And, yes, I have a facebook page and, yes, I BLOG, but I have always loved to write, I love drawing, painting and anything to do with art, I love photography (Again,"Old School Style"), I love nature, gardening, cooking, camping (Again, "Old School Style", TENT IT!!), fishing, hiking and heck I love playing in the dirt!! But, I look at some of the facebook pages of our young people..... and who in the heck has over 2000+ "friends" (NO ONE!)?

  I guess it is what it is and I can not changed it. I can only write how I feel and I will only learn as my children grow (which scares me for that and them), but, I'll take a bottle of that innocence to go, please!

Dana Hunt-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment